Lindane's use as an insecticide has declined because fleas and lice have developed resistance to it. Like most chlorocarbon pesticides, it degrades slowly in the environment and it accumulates in the fatty tissues of organisms at the top of the food chain. Many countries have banned or restricted its use. Lindane is no longer manufactured in the United States.
Lindane is toxic to humans as well as to pests. It is not water soluble but is soluble in fat and can pass directly through the skin. Toxic reactions range from mild skin irritation to dizziness, headaches, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, and even convulsions and death. The most severe of these reactions is usually the result of accidental ingestion rather than skin contact. The estimated fatal dose is 150 mg/kg of body weight. Children and infants and pregnant women should avoid any contact with lindane.
|This 2300 page book contains over 10000 compound entries. It is now available on CD ROM. The entries include chemical formulas and structures, physical properties such as density and solubility, references on syntheses, and toxicity and therapeutic category.|
|A detailed profile of the pesticide lindane, including toxicological effects, ecological effects, environmental fate, exposure guidelines, and physical properties.|
Author: Fred Senese firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright © 1997-2010 by Fred Senese
Comments & questions to email@example.com
Last Revised 08/17/15.URL: http://antoine.frostburg.edu/chem/senese/101/environmental/faq/print-what-is-lindane.shtml